Erie, PA – 16502
Under indirect supervision, assist the ophthalmologist and/or optometrist with diagnostic and treatment-oriented procedures and administrative tasks.
High school diploma or equivalent; or medical assistant who is a graduate of an accredited Medical Assistant program. Maintain CPR certification. 3 months experience in an ophthalmology setting preferred. Ability to multi-task efficiently and effectively. Must be able to act calmly and effectively in a busy or stressful situation. Requires adherence to all policies and procedures, including but not limited to standards for safety, attendance, punctuality and personal appearance.
- Interview patients and document ocular and medical histories
- Verify current medications
- Perform visual acuity
- Perform a variety of routine tests using ophthalmic instruments that provide diagnostic information including, but not limited to, intraocular pressures, basic motility, visual fields, A-Scans, wave scans, OCT, IOL master, HRT, pentacam and tonometry tests
- Assist the physician during diagnostic and minor surgical procedures, including sterilization of equipment using autoclave equipment
- dminister topical medications or diagnostic drugs as required by the provider for testing or treatment
- Prepare and position patient for diagnostic tests and procedures
- Assist the physician with patient education pertaining to the treatment prescribed
- Call in prescriptions as ordered by the physician as needed
- Maintain confidentiality of sensitive information
- Record patient charges for billing department
- Prepare procedure and exam rooms; inventory equipment and supplies; replenish supplies and equipment
- Perform basic triage
- Maintain professional appearance and personal conduct at all times
- Adhere to employer work practices as described in the Laser Eye Surgery of Erie Exposure Plan policy
- Work as a team member within the department and office as a whole.
- Travel to satellite office locations as necessary
- Document work processes as required
- Perform other duties as assigned