Erie, PA – 16502
Responsible for scheduling all surgeries and incidental testing according to physician orders. Ensures that referral and pre-authorization activities are handled according to practice and payer guidelines in order to provide patient and provider satisfaction and maximum reimbursement. Collaborates daily with the appropriate personnel and respective staff to coordinate surgical schedule to provide optimum use of the operating rooms and facilities.
High school diploma or equivalent. 2+ years minimum experience in a medical practice. Ability to multi-task efficiently and effectively. Must be able to act calmly and effectively in a busy or stressful situation. Requires adherence to all policies and procedures, including but not limited to standards for safety, attendance, punctuality and personal appearance.
- Coordinates and schedules surgeries, follow-up appointments as designated by physicians ensuring schedules are full and maximized.
- Acts as a liaison between the patient, surgeon, and the surgical facility in all aspects of pre-operative preparation Provides preoperative and postoperative instructions, prescriptions, restrictions and other surgery information from various sources to patients.
- Meets with patients requesting surgery to discuss financial responsibility and answers any patient questions regarding surgery specifics. If unable to answer questions, coordinates physician involvement.
- Verifies that all information, including pre-surgical forms, medical clearance documents, insurance, patient health and physical, exams, pre-testing, and all required signatures are complete and correct and in the patients chart in a timely manner.
- Coordinates and routes all paperwork as required to meet physician and facility requirements. Provides accurate, thorough and complete documentation of all information pertinent to the patient treatment.
- Maintains awareness of various insurance carrier restrictions to assure all necessary criteria are met prior to surgery.
- Communicates with the physician and surgery center staff to ensure all special supplies are received prior to the surgical date. Orders any lenses needed for surgeries in advance.
- Works with billing and insurance companies to obtain eligibility and pre-certification for surgical procedures including authorizations.
- Ensures insurance verifications are received prior to office visits and procedures. Takes payments for office visits, procedures and past due balances.
- Detailed knowledge regarding co-management procedures with OD’s. Ensures compliance with scheduling of post-operative visits. Communicates with OD’s as needed.
- Calls patients to remind them of upcoming appointments. Prepares and mails reminder cards for month in advance
- Reviews any additional orders written by physicians and follows up for completion of each order.
- Provides preoperative and postoperative instructions, prescriptions, restrictions and other surgery information from various sources to patients.
- Assist reception with answering telephones as needed
- Maintain professional appearance and personal conduct at all times
- Adhere to employer work practices as described in the Laser Eye Surgery of Erie Exposure Plan policy
- Work as a team member within the department and office as a whole.
- Travel to satellite office locations as necessary
- Document work processes as required
- Perform other duties as assigned